Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hwy 2 or I94?

We%26#39;ll be travelling from MN (Fargo) to Glacier Nat%26#39;l Park. Hwy 2 looks like a better angle to come in from, but I%26#39;m wondering if a two lane hwy would be too slow vs. the freeway???



Hwy 2 or I94?


I grew up in Columbus, ND off Hwy 2 north of Minot. The highway while 2 lane is well maintained and the traffic light enough that you will make good time and travel through the heart of our Country%26#39;s bread basket. You%26#39;ll make good time.



I envy you your trip--Glacier Park is surely one of the most beautiful spots on earth and less frequently visited than our other National Parks; so, you should enjoy it.



Mary Thorndal


Los Angeles, CA


marylawyr@earthlink.net



Hwy 2 or I94?


I know this person%26#39;s trip through ND is over, but I want to clarify that Hwy 2 isn%26#39;t just a 2 lane road anymore. It%26#39;s been a 4 lane highway since the late 1980s. Hope this helps in case someone else is making a trip across ND. Hwy 2 has high speed limits in most areas just like the interstate.





Hwy 2%26#39;s best stops are Grand Forks, Devils Lake (huge lake with great fishing %26amp; hunting - just south of DL, consider visiting Sully%26#39;s Hill in Ft Totten to see prairie dogs %26amp; buffalo in a natural park setting), Rugby (everyone takes a picture by the simple stone structure stating that Rugby is the geographical center of North America - along the highway), Minot and Williston.





I grew up in ND, but don%26#39;t know the I-94 route as well as good old Hwy 2. I%26#39;ll let someone else comment on that. What I can offer as far as I-94 would be that: Fargo has an old-time movie theater and viking ship. Jamestown has a giant buffalo statue that everyone takes a picture under too. Bismarck/Mandan used to offer a pretty genuine teepee village. Beyond that I%26#39;m way out of my realm as I%26#39;ve never been to the badlands.





Hope this helps someone trekking East/West across ND. Both routes are flat and straight across for the most part. Try to plan your trip so you don%26#39;t have the sun in your eyes the entire way across.

No comments:

Post a Comment